NIT Silchar Quiz Fest 2015 - Maut ka Kuan - The MELA Quiz - Prelims
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of NIT Silchar Quiz Fest 2015 - Maut ka Kuan - The MELA Quiz - Prelims
Maut ka Kuan
Questions set by:Angshuman Biswas
Siddhanth PurkayasthaSandipan Goswami
1. Performances of this kind have appeared in various filmsincluding My House in Umbria (2003), Spare a Copper (1941),Roustabout (1964), Eat the Peach (1986), There Is Another Sun
A short-length Greek documentary film on the practice in Greece,"Ο γύρος του θανάτου" ("The Spin of Death"), released in 2004,made the rounds of various film festivals in the country.
An earlier full-length feature Greek film of the same name,produced in 1983, features a protagonist who is a performer atsuch shows; the film became a cult classic.
What kind of performance are we talking about?
Wall of Death / Motordrome / Silodrome / Well of
Death / Maut ka Kuan
3.* They are a Angloquian-speaking tribe of native Americans who, inthe 17th century, inhabited much of what is now Connecticut. Whichfictional ship from a 1851 novel was named after this tribe?
The Pequod from Moby Dick, named for the Pequot tribe
4.* This postage stamp issued by the Government of France in1961 depicts which painting by which painter?
The Card Players by Paul Cezanne
5. Urban Dictionary definition of which term?
6. The Stone Roses is the debut album by English rock band The StoneRoses, released in 1989. It is widely considered by critics as the seminalrecord of the Madchester movement that originated in Manchester,England and was active in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and as beinghighly influential on the mid-1990s resurrection of British guitar musicthat came to be known as Britpop.
As with most Stone Roses releases, the cover displays a work byguitarist John Squire titled “Bye Bye Badman” which makes reference tothe May 1968 riots in Paris. This cover artwork is heavily influenced bythe style characteristic of which painter? (pic in next slide)
7. In Greek mythology, X is the son of Pallas and Styx and is the personification of strength and power. His presence in popular culture can be recognized with his iconic grey skin which has an equally interesting back story behind it and
a red line over his torso.
• 2D provides the lead vocals and plays the keyboard. He is voiced by Blur front man Damon Albarn
• Russel Hobbs provides the drums and was conceptualized as the hip hop aspect of their music.
• Murdoc is the bassist and his appearance and personality is based on young Keith Richards.
• Noodle is a 13 year old girl who is also the lead guitarist.
Identify the band.
9. The first paragraph of the upper part reports: “________, architect, puts in his work on architecture that the measurements of man are in nature distributed in this manner, that is:a palm is four fingersa foot is four palmsa cubit is six palmsfour cubits make a mana pace is four cubitsa man is 24 palmsand these measurements are in his buildings".
The second paragraph reads: "if you open your legs enough that your head is lowered by one-fourteenth of your height and raise your hands enough that your extended fingers touch the line of the top of your head, know that the centre of the extended limbs will be the navel, and the space between the legs will be an equilateral triangle".
The lower section of text gives these proportions:the length of the outspread arms is equal to the height of a man (contd.)
from the hairline to the bottom of the chin is one-tenth of the height of a manfrom below the chin to the top of the head is one-eighth of the height of a manfrom abovethe chest to the top of the head is one-sixth of the height of a manfrom above the chest to the hairline is one-seventh of the height of a man.the maximum width of the shoulders is a quarter of the height of a man.from the breasts to the top of the head is a quarter of the height of a man.the distance from the elbow to the tip of the hand is a quarter of the height of a man.the distance from the elbow to the armpit is one-eighth of the height of a man.the length of the hand is one-tenth of the height of a man.the root of the penis is at half the height of a man.the foot is one-seventh of the height of a man.
from below the foot to below the knee is a quarter of the height of a man.from below the knee to the root of the penis is a quarter of the height of a man.the distances from below the chin to the nose and the eyebrows and the hairline are equal to the ears and to one-third of the face.
What are we talking about?
Vitruvian Man by Leonardo da Vinci
10.* The front man of this iconic band explained it’s name as being a rough translation taken from the rare manuscript Argus Apocraphex.
“ It’s a metaphor for the future, that we are so close to something that is not a tangible idea. Also X is the God of War.”
The front man is also in news making geeks all over the world jump with joy.
11.* This painting called Intimacy by Cesar Santos, acontemporary Cuban-American realist painter, showsa lady painting another lady (herself most probably).The painting inside the painting is actually a 17th
century Dutch masterpiece by X. X’s painting hasinspired a 1999 novel, a 2003 film and a 2008 play.
Give X and name the masterpiece.
The Girl With the Pearl Earring (c. 1665)
12. The developers of this comic series was inspired by daredevil. Thus as a tribute to it’s icon, the protagonist is shown to have it’s origin from the same accident that had given daredevil his powers. Which comic series am I talking about?
13. Referred to as the Frida Kahlo of India, the followingpainting is the first work to be painted by X after returning toIndia from Europe in 1934. Simply known as “Group of ThreeGirls”, the painting won the Gold Medal at the annualexhibition of the Bombay Art Society in 1937. AuroraZogoiby, a character in Salman Rushdie's 1995 novel "TheMoor's Last Sigh," was inspired by X.
Group of Three Girls (1935)
14.* Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System isthe central core designed to control, guide andoversee the Aperture Science centre and is also theprime antagonist in this cult first person simulatorgame which makes the use of a Z gun throughoutthe game.
15. The band shares it’s name with a mythologicaldemon in male form who engage in sexual activitywith sleeping human beings.
It’s female counterpart is called succubus.
The band is multi platinum selling dwelling in thealternate rock genre.
Identify the band.
16. Identify the art and TV series.
The Persistence of Memory by Salvador Dali;