Wave Energy Kate Riley Energy Alternatives Spring 2007.
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Wave Energy Kate Riley Energy Alternatives Spring 2007.
- Slide 1
- Wave Energy Kate Riley Energy Alternatives Spring 2007
- Slide 2
- Physical Properties of Waves Waves are created by wind passing over large bodies of water. Waves are measured by their: Height (H) Height (H) Wavelength() Wavelength() Frequency (v) Frequency (v) Period (T) Period (T)
- Slide 3
- Development of Wave Energy North Atlantic has highest potential Most development along European coast Estimated 30GW-80GW in UK alone Worldwide estimates 2 TW or 17,500TWh/yr
- Slide 4
- Development of Wave Technology Leaders in researching and investing in wave technology: UK UK Norway Norway Japan Japan Rep. of Ireland Rep. of Ireland Australia Australia Indonesia Indonesia
- Slide 5
- What does it take? High average wave energy Persistent waves Deep water close to shore (decreases frictional energy loss) Small tidal range (