Important Factors in Health
Click here to load reader
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Important Factors in Health
Important Factors in Health1) Diet & Exercise (Nutrition & Activity)2) Thinking and Emotions3) Your place in the UniverseBODYSPIRITMIND
DNAProteinsRNACentral DogmaAgouti Mice ExperimentNormalAgoutitraits
Leptin - hormone released by fat cells after eating. When leptin levels rise, alpha melanocyte stimulating hormone (-MSH) rises, increasing metabolic rate, triggering satiety.
-MSH plays a role in feeding behavior, energy homeostasis, and sexual activity. Also stimulates melanogenesis, for pigmentation of hair and skin. A naturally occurring genetic mutation blocks the function of -MSH. Phenotypic changes result, e.g. the Agouti Mouse! Agouti mice: Have yellow coats, display obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular disease, similar to animals missing leptin.
FIG. 4.Avy PS1A methylation as a function of tissue type and animal age. (A) Average percent methylation of seven CpG sites in the Avy PS1A in tail (T), liver (L), kidney (K), and brain (B) samples from five Avy/a animals representing the five coat color classes shown in Fig. 2A. Avy methylation in the tail correlates highly with that in other tissues (r2 > 0.98 for all comparisons). (B) Average percent methylation of Avy PS1A in day 100 liver versus that in day 21 tail tip DNA. Percent methylation in day 21 tail predicts that in day 100 liver (r2 = 0.95). Open triangles, unsupplemented offspring; solid triangles, supplemented offspring. Neither group departed significantly from the line of identity (shown). Hence, Avy PS1A methylation is maintained with high fidelity into adulthood.Mol Cell Biol. 2003 August; 23(15): 52935300. doi: 10.1128/MCB.23.15.5293-5300.2003.
EpigeneticsRegulatory ProteinsEnvironmentDNARNAProteinsProof you can change your genetics daily (hourly) by the foods you eat and ExerciseThoughtsEmotions
Whole FoodsUnrefined, entire original item.
All original nutrients remain intact.
Unprocessed, not chemically treated.e.g.: - organic vegetables and fruit- whole brown rice, quinoa- raw nuts and seeds
Refined FoodsHeavily processed from original form.
Most (if not all) original nutrients removed.
Often chemically treated (in processing and for shelf-life). e.g.: - white sugar ()- white flour- heavily preserved (packaged) itemsWho invented pop tarts and why?
Refined or Whole food?
What is Sugar?Glucose - most important sugar in Human Body!Sucrose - highly refined, table sugar Avoid!Why?But it tastes so good Simple High Fructose Corn Syrup Bad for you!!!Complex
Insulin LevelsRollercoaster ride = Diabetes Mellitus Type II
The Effects of Carbohydrates on the Phagocytic IndexDiet and the Immune SystemSugar suppresses Immune System!* Rat tooth enamel study
Why? Far more Sugar in our Diet now!Cultural? Social? Conditioning? Television, Movies, Advertisements e.g., in 1999 the average American consumed 150lbs of sugar/year.
ConsciousMind Subconscious Mind
Can you see what I see?Hypnotized people can read reversed, mirrored and upside-down text at a normal rate. That is, the subconscious mind decodes any text, no matter how it's written. Recognition of images are even more powerful!
Your subconscious mind is very flexible and can see everything!
It frightens me still to realize how deeply alcohol advertisers understand the precise nature of addiction and how deliberately and destructively they use their knowledge Jean Kilbourne, Chair, Council on Alcohol Policy
Taste TestAB50% - 50% split!Coke85% chose coke!(Montague, 2005) Pepsi50% - 50% split!OtherOther(One was Coke one was Pepsi)(Both were Coke)(Both were Pepsi)
Researchers Comment There are visual images and marketing messages that have insinuated themselves into the nervous system of humans who consume the drink. It is possible that cultural messages perturb taste sensation.
How can we protect ourselves?Understand the Mind and Thinking better and apply a useful system of thinking
1. Grammar - Discovering and ordering facts of reality; provides a basic, systematic Knowledge. The Trivium2. Logic Developing Reason in establishing valid relationships among facts, forming systematic Understanding (non-contradictory identification).3. Rhetoric - Speaking or writing persuasively. Systematically useable knowledge & understanding generating Wisdom.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting one in a fruit salad. Develop skills of critical thinking (the Trivium) and practice applying them daily by discussing important issues with each other.
12 years or 15,000 hours of Indoctrination, not Education, is for a Reason!
AIM:To create people who are unable to think critically. And also who do not see themselves as Special or Spiritual!Schooling Education
The Impact of Science on Society (1951) Bertram Russell. The Scientific Dictatorship p 50, Intended Role of EducationEducation should aim at destroying free will so that after the pupils have left school they shall be incapable throughout the rest of their lives of thinking or acting otherwise than as their school masters would have wished.
So is there a relationship between schooling, food, thinking and our Body, Mind & Spirit Connection?
Human Genome Project (2000)Expected ~150,000 Genes, but only found ~21,0001 gene 1 protein
Conflict of Interest?Stunningly Obvious?
GMO Toxicity Affects Animals, Plants and Soil
1) GMOs disrupt digestion. A 2004 study Nature Biotechnology found that transgenic plant DNA persists in the human gastrointestinal tract upon consumption. This is the closest thing to a human clinical trial that has ever been conducted with GMOs, shows genetic material from GMOs actually transfers into the DNA of living bacteria in the gut, where it reproduces indefinitely. (http://www.anh-usa.org)
2) GMOs cause cancer. The Seralini Study provides solid evidence that GMOs are processed by mammals differently than natural foods. Rats fed a lifetime of GMOs sprayed with the toxic Roundup (glyphosate) herbicide developed serious tumors that took over their entire bodies. Also the International Journal of Biological Sciences showed similar results, with the addition of organ failure as a symptom of GMO consumption. (http://www.naturalnews.com)
3) GMOs increase herbicide use. Contrary to industry claims, GMOs have not reduced the need for chemical inputs, but rather greatly expanded it. Washington State University's Center for Sustaining Agriculture and Natural Resources found that herbicide use has increased by an astounding 527 millions pounds since GMOs were first introduced.
4) GMOs damage native species. A major point of contention with GMOs is that they can very easily pass their traits onto non-GMO, organic, and native crops and other plants, effectively destroying their very integrity permanently. Hundreds of farmers have been sued by Monsanto and other GMO giants after their crops were inadvertently contaminated by GMOs. GMOs are also responsible for killing off bees, bats, butterflies, and other pollinators, whose bodies are unable to handle the onslaught of altered DNA and chemicals that are characteristic of GMO technologies.
5) GMOs pollute the environment. A 2011 study published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Science found that the Bacillus thuriengensis (Bt) bacteria engineered into Monsanto's GM corn can now be found in hundreds of streams and waterways throughout the U.S. Another study published in the journal Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry revealed that Roundup herbicide is also present in many waterways and groundwater sources throughout America as well. (http://naturalsociety.com)
6) GMOs deplete soil minerals, destroy beneficial bacteria. Studies have shown that these chemicals degrade and deplete soils of vital minerals and beneficial bacteria, both of which protect crops from pests, viruses, and other threatening elements. Glyphosate, the active component in Roundup, also does not biodegrade, which means it is continually accumulating in the environment without restraint,
7) GMOs spawn crop-destroying 'superweeds,' 'superbugs. The premise is GMOs artificially engineer crops with resistance to chemicals and exposures that would otherwise kill them, thus they can improve yields and protect the environment. This allowed farmers to indiscriminately spray chemicals (Roundup) on crops without worrying about killing them. But system is now failing, as the weeds and pests targeted by GMO technologies have mutated and developed resistance As a result, pestilence and disease is on the rise due to GMOs.
The Daily Mail reported, "Fresh row over GM foods as French study claims rats fed the controversial crops suffered tumors." (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2205509/Fresh-fears-GM...) "The animals on the GM diet suffered mammary tumors, as well as severe liver and kidney damage. The researchers said 50 percent of males and 70 percent of females died prematurely, compared with only 30 percent and 20 percent in the control group."Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO) has developed a novel variety of genetically-modified (GM) wheat that contains an altered protein and enzyme-suppressing mechanism that some scientists believe could cause serious problems for the human liver. A recent report says that children born to parents who consume this GM wheat variety could actually end up dying before they reach the age of five.