Waves and its properties
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Waves and its properties
- 1. Frequency =? Period =? = 1 m s = 5 m/s f = s f = 1/T or T = 1/f
- 2. Frequency: f = velocity wave length f = 5 m/s 1 m f= 5 cycles/sec Time period: T=1/f T = 1/5 cycles/s T = .2 sec
- 3. When a wave encounters a surface, four interactions can occur: Reflection, Refraction, Diffraction, or Absorption.
- 4. The oscillations of a transverse wave are not in the direction the wave moves.
- 5. The oscillations of a longitudinal wave are in the same direction that the wave moves.
- 6. What happens when one pulse is on top of the string and the other is on the bottom? When the pulses meet in the middle, they cancel each other out. During destructive interference, waves add up to make a wave with smaller or zero amplitude.