MARE 250 Dr. Jason Turner Hypothesis Testing. This is not a Test… Hypothesis testing – used for...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of MARE 250 Dr. Jason Turner Hypothesis Testing. This is not a Test… Hypothesis testing – used for...
- Slide 1
- MARE 250 Dr. Jason Turner Hypothesis Testing
- Slide 2
- This is not a Test Hypothesis testing used for making decisions or judgments Hypothesis a statement that something is true Hypothesis test typically involves two hypothesis:
- Slide 3
- Null hypothesis a hypothesis to be tested ( H 0 ) H 0 : = 0 Alternative hypothesis (research hypothesis) a hypothesis to be considered as an alternative to the null hypothesis (H a ) Three possible choices: 1. Mean is Different From a specified value two-tailed test H a : 0 2. Mean is Less Than a specified value left-tailed test H a : < 0 3. Mean is Greater Than a specified value right-tailed test H a : > 0 One-tailed tests
- Slide 4
- For Example The FDA has issued fish consumption advisories for populations containing Hg levels greater than 1.0 ppm. Want to test whether Yellowfin tuna have levels of Hg below 1.0 ppm
- Slide 5
- For Example 1. Determine the null hypothesis for the hypothesis test. 2. Determine the alternative for the hypothesis test. 3. Classify the hypothesis test as two-tailed, left-tailed, or right-tailed
- Slide 6
- For Example One Sample t-test 1.The null hypothesis for this test is: the mean Hg level for yellowfin tuna equals the FDA level of 1.0 ppm H 0 : = 1.0 ppm 2. The alternative for the hypothesis test is: the mean Hg level for yellowfin tuna is less than 1.0 ppm H a : < 1.0 ppm 3. The hypothesis test is left-tailed because the less- than-sign (