Leaders in Godâ€™s Flock - Qualifications for Elders
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Leaders in Godâ€™s Flock - Qualifications for Elders
- 1.Leaders in Gods Flock
2. 3. BishopOverseerElderPastor
Ephesians 4:15-16 head of the church
John 15:5 nothing without me
Matthew 16:18 mychurch
Ephesians 5:22-23 Christ is the head lover, sanctifier
5. The Churchs Board of Directors
6. The Words: OVERSEER, BISHOP
one who has the responsibility of safeguarding or seeing to it that something is done in the correct way, guardian
In the Gr-Rom. World, refers to one who has a definite function or fixed office of guardianship and related activity within a group. Overseer; supervisor.
An onlooker, watcher, protector, patron; outside of scripture used as a secular word for those who have technical and financial responsibilities.
Moses had commanders (e) of thousands, etc. (Numbers 31:14)
7. OVERSEER () (episkopos)
Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made youoverseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood.
To the saints in Christ Jesus who are at Philippi, with the overseers(bishops KJV) and deacons.
1 Timothy 3:2
Therefore, an overseer(bishop KJV) must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled
For an overseer(bishop KJV), as Gods steward, must be above reproach. He must not be arrogant or quick-tempered
1 Peter 2:25
For you were straying like sheep, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer(Guardian NASB, Bishop - KJV) of your souls.
8. 9. The Words: ELDER
Being relatively advanced in age: older, old.
An official: elder, presbyter.
Officer of the synagogue; member of local council in an individual city (Joshua 20:4, Ruth 4:2)
Member of the Sanhedrin of Jerusalem (Matthew 21:23, 26:3, 4:23)
Church official under consideration today (1 Peter 5:1-5)
Johns letters (The elder to the elect lady 2 John 1)
Heavenly council of 24 elders around the throne (Revelation 4:4, 7:11, 14:3, 19:4, etc. Prophesied in Isaiah 24:23)
A designation of age: (Proverbs 20:29, Leviticus 19:32, Genesis 18:11, John 8:9, Acts 2:17, etc.)
A title of office: (Luke 22:66, Acts 22:5, etc.)
Ambiguous: 1 Peter 5:5 You who are younger, be subject to the elders
10. The Words: PASTOR, SHEPHERD
SHEPHERD, PASTOR, MINISTER ()
One who herds sheep: shepherd, sheep-herder
One who serves as a guardian or leader: shepherd (fig.)
Literally: an tender of flocks
-a nickname for honored kings.
-a designation of Gods care. (Psalm 23)
-a description of Jesus
-The good shepherd (John 10:11)
-The Chief Shepherd (1 Peter 5:4)
-a congregational leader (Eph. 4:11, John 21:15-17, 1 Pet. 5:3)
11. 12. SHEPHERD() (poi-MEIN)
John 10:11, 14
I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for his sheepI am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me.
He gave some to be apostles, prophets, evangelists, shepherds, and teachers.
Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood
1 Peter 2:25
For you were straying like sheep, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer (Guardian NASB, Bishop - KJV) of your souls.
13. Overseer, Bishop, Caretaker, WatchmanElder, Wise Man, Experienced ManShepherd, Pastor, Protector
14. The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task.
Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money.
He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive, for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for Gods church?
He must not be a recent convert, or he may become puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil.
Moreover, he must be well thought of by outsiders, so that he may not fall into disgrace, into a snare of the devil.
1 Timothy 3:1-7 ESV
15. This is why I left you in Crete, so that you might put what remained into order, and appoint elders in every town as I directed you ifanyone is above reproach, the husband of one wife, and his children are believers and not open to the charge of debauchery or insubordination.
For an overseer, as Gods steward, must be above reproach.
He must not be arrogant or quick-tempered or a drunkard or violent or greedy for gain, but hospitable, a lover of good, self-controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined.
He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.
Titus 1:5-9 ESV
16. 1 Timothy 3:1-7
- Above Reproach
17. Husband of one wife 18. Sober-minded 19. Self-controlled 20. Respectable 21. Hospitable 22. Able to teach 23. Not a drunkard 24. Not violent, but gentle 25. Not quarrelsome 26. Not a lover of money 27. Manage household well; With dignity, keeping children submissive 28. Not a recent convert (no pride!) 29. Thought well of by outsiders (not disgraced) 30. Above reproach 31. Husband of one wife 32. Children are believers (no debauchery or insubordination) 33. Above reproach (!) 34. Not arrogant 35. Not quick-tempered 36. Not a drunkard 37. Not violent 38. Not greedy for gain 39. Hospitable 40. A lover of good 41. Self-controlled 42. Upright 43. Holy 44. Disciplined 45. Holding firm; able to instruct 46. Able to rebuke the contradictors