Great Bear Rainforest

download Great Bear Rainforest

If you can't read please download the document

  • date post

    11-Jan-2017
  • Category

    Education

  • view

    25
  • download

    0

Embed Size (px)

Transcript of Great Bear Rainforest

Feathered lime green design template

- ( ) .- The Great Bear Rainforest (also known as the Central and North Coast forest) is a temperate rain forest on the Pacific coast of British Columbia, Canada.

- . , , , , Kermode (), , .- The Great Bear Rainforest is one of the largest remaining tracts of unspoiled temperate rainforest left in the world. The area is home to species such as cougars, wolves, salmon, grizzly bears, and the Kermode ("spirit") bear, a unique subspecies of the black bear, in which one in ten cubs displays a recessive white coloured coat.

- 1000 , 90 , Sitka.- The forest features 1,000-year-old western red cedar and 90-metre Sitka spruce.

- 1 2016, o Christy Clark , , 85% 6,4 . 15% . , 15 26 (Heiltsuk, Kitasoo, Xaixais, Haisla, Gitga'at Henaaksiala) .- On February 1, 2016, Premier Christy Clark announced an agreement had been reached between the province of British Columbia, First Nations, environmentalists and the forestry industry to protect 85% of the 6.4 million hectare Great Bear Rainforest from industrial logging. The remaining 15% would still be subject to logging under stringent conditions. The agreement also recognizes aboriginal rights to shared decision-making, and provides a greater economic share of timber rights and $15-million in funding to 26 First Nations in the area. The Heiltsuk, Kitasoo, Xaixais, Haisla, Gitgaat and Henaaksiala. Everywhere is evidence of their civilization.

Gitgaat Nation

Haisla Nation

Heiltsuk Nation

Kitasoo Nation

- .

- Cedar trees and their use have been deeply intertwined with the cultural and spiritual life of First Nations for millennia.

- , () .- The rare, elusive white Spirit Bear can only be found in the heart of the Great Bear Rainforest.

- Synthliboramphus antiquus . .- The threatened marbled murrelet doesnt build a nest. Instead makes a depression in the moss found in the canopy of old-growth trees.

- ; , , . DNA !- Why do trees grow so large in the old-growth forests of the Great Bear? Because bears leave their partially eaten salmon in the forest, like offerings, for the trees and soil to absorb the nutrients. In fact salmon DNA has been found in the old trees!

Synthesis by: Dimos Derventlis