Entrepreneurship Education Conference, June 27 at UNESCO, The University of Nicosia
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Entrepreneurship Education Conference, June 27 at UNESCO, The University of Nicosia
-Μύθοι και πραγματικότητα
-Καλές Πρακτικές:Τρόποι εφαρμογής των αρχών που πηγάζουν από την επιχειρηματικότητα σε όλους τους τομείς μάθησης, εκπαίδευσης, και εργασίας
June 27, 2013UNESCO
University of Nicosia
Δημήτρης ΧατζησοφόκληManaging Director, Helix Business IncubatorDirector, Liaison Office University of Nicosia
This problem can be solved by pre-school children in five to ten minutes, by programmers in an hour and by people with higher education…
well check it yourself!
5555=08193= 38096= 51012= 17777= 09999=47756= 16855= 39881= 55531= 02581= ???
To Discuss• How is “Entrepreneurship Education” Defined
• Correlational Graph to the Financial Crisis
• Economic Recovery
• Teachers as Facilitators
• The European Perspective
• Enabling Teachers to Succeed
• Entrepreneurship Education EcoSystem5
Current Financial Crisis
• >70K People with no Work & Growing
– Almost 50% of them young <30yrs old
• Unemployment high and getting higher
• Psychology/Depression on the Rise
• Hope must be preserved
• What should we do? Short Term/Long Term6
Short Term• Provide Opportunities to Create
– Business Incubators/Accelerators– Smart/Cloud Financing– Mentorship/Coaching– Easy Company Formation– Facilitate Legal Issues– Leverage existing knowledge/Technology– Knew Knowledge– Pivot the Economic Model
• Impact/Infuse Cultural Change at the grass roots
• Bring back the Enterprising Spirit of the past
• ReClaim our DNA
• Teach our kids to become curious, innovative, creative, fearless….
• Trust the young people; Show them how to flap their wings and Let Them Fly
• Entrepreneurship education seeks to provide students with the knowledge, skills and motivation to Encourage Entrepreneurial Success in a variety of settings. Variations of Entrepreneurship Education are offered at all levels of schooling from Primary or Secondary Schools through Graduate University Programs
What is Entrepreneurship Education?
•Entrepreneurship education is a process through which Learners Acquire a broad set of Competencies that can bring greater individual, social and economic benefits since the competences acquired lend themselves to application in every aspect of people's lives.
– An individual's ability to turn ideas into action
– It includes creativity, innovation, showing initiative and risk-taking, as well as the ability to plan and manage projects in order to achieve objectives
– Supports everyone in day-to-day life at home and in society, makes employees more aware of the context of their work and better able to Seize Opportunities, and provides a foundation for entrepreneurs establishing a social or commercial activity
What is Entrepreneurship Education?
to ALL 11
It can be
Teachers are “The Facilitators”
Purpose of Education
• What are some of our primary goals as Stakeholders in the Education System?
– Prepare students for the “real world” • 21st Century Skills (Skill Specialization-Entrepreneurship
is the Tip of the Arrow)• Citizenship• Knowledge
– Create jobs – Better Quality of life– Entrepreneurship Provides a “Light of Hope” for
Financial and Social Recovery– Cross Curricula / Interdisciplinary 14
• One Ball Tool
• Same Objective Success
Different Approaches 15
Duncker's candle problem
Duncker's candle problem – The Solution
• The CAPACITY and willingness to DEVELOP, organize and MANAGE a BUSINESS VENTURE along with any of its RISKS in order to make a PROFIT – The most obvious example of entrepreneurship is the starting of
• In ECONOMICS, entrepreneurship combined with LAND, LABOR, NATURAL RESOURCES and CAPITAL can PRODUCE PROFIT
• Entrepreneurial spirit is characterized by INNOVATION and risk-taking, and is an essential part of a nations ABILITY to succeed in an ever changing and increasingly COMPETITIVE GLOBAL MARKETPLACE
What is Entrepreneurship?
• Scientific Curiosity
• Forward Looking
• Confident• Feels a Sense of
Ownership• Able to Communicate• Passionate about
Learning• Team Player• System-Oriented• Dedicated• Grateful• Optimistic• Gregarious
• A Leader by Example • Not Afraid of Risk or
Success• Ambition • Enthusiasm• Prudence• Decision-making• Perseverance• Motivated• Driven
Characteristics of Entrepreneurship
• Entrepreneurship Education is Vital and a Priority embedded in almost all initiatives stemming from the European Commission
• Entrepreneurship is the only way to create jobs, lower unemployment, increase tax base, increase productivity, change Cyprus’ economic model, grow GDP
European Perspective• The Grand Challenges in
– How to help primary and secondary school teachers to become agents of change through initial teacher education
– How to encourage and enable in-service teachers to engage in entrepreneurship education through continuing professional development
– How to develop teachers as facilitators of learning
– How to develop support systems for teachers
– How to develop the role of the school and its community to help teachers to provide learning opportunities in entrepreneurship
• Fundamental shift away from traditional approaches
• Teachers are:– In the middle of these changes– They need to be equipped with the right skills, knowledge and
attitudes to be able to provide their students with the new curricula, pedagogies and learning environments that they will need if they are to acquire entrepreneurial competencies
• How should teachers be educated?
• What developments need to happen in initial teacher education and continuing professional development?
• What types of support will teachers need in the environment which they teach?
Enabling Teachers as a Critical Success Factor
• We are Answering some of these questions
• This is a Re-Start of an Effort to Impact Positive Change
• The University of Nicosia & Helix Business Incubator are Next to you in this Effort
• Teachers - pivotal agents of change
• External actors outside the education system – such as Business Organizations and NGOs– National and/or Regional Authorities– Stakeholders; Community, Partnerships,
Students, Parents, Mentors, Investors, Teachers, Schools, Universities, Supporters, Wider Public, Incentives & Resources
Entrepreneurship Education Eco System
It is a journey and it will be filled with experiences, surprises, magic,
discovery, disappointment, joy…
We are excited that we are co-travelers during this trip….